Friday 1 April 2011

part 2

Well, that worked (though not quite in the right order!).
This is called 'The Crow and the Moon' and was the first illustration that I attempted after the birth of my youngest child. Hence it's quite small (fits on A4). It is mixed media, oil pastel with a layer of lino ink, then scratched into. You probably can't read the words, and I suppose you're not really meant to - it's more about the effect. I love writing into my artwork, it seems to give it a kind of power, and is really great to do. In this case the writing is automatic; I knew I wanted to write a story about a crow flying up to the moon, but apart from that I just made it up as I wrote. It actually makes quite a nice story - and I was amazed when I got to the end (enforced by lack of space) and it made sense.
I use this image in most of my promotional stuff - it's on the frontpage of my website (http://vikkiyeates.daportfolio.com/) and I use a lino print of it for my business cards.
I love crows and ravens, they are so evocative; and so they feature in a lot of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment